Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Alabama Chanin Top Take Two

It has almost been year since my first foray into the wonderful world of Alabama Chanin. I wrote all about it here. This post will focus on the details pertaining to the new top.

My second time was a breeze because I already knew what I was doing. I didn't have to start from scratch as far as stencil was concerned because I reused the same stencil as the first time.

Ana's Garden stencil which I traced and cut last year.


This time I used a combination of black and camel lightweight (4.6 oz/linear yard) cotton jersey. The first time I used a medium weight (9.8 oz/linear yard). For summer, I prefer the former. 


The camel jersey was purchased from Alabama Chanin website during a 20% off sale. The black one was from Fabric.com and part of the Telio line of fabrics. Both were of the same quality but the latter was significantly cheaper. 




I used Createx Pearlized Fabric paint in Pearl Satin Gold for the stencil paint. I purchased it last year from Dick Blick. I only used half of the small 4 oz bottle and did not dilute it at all. 

This is what it looked like after spray painting. I did not stress out as much during the airbrushing process because I already knew that much of it would be cut out anyway. 

For the handsewing process, I used Coats Button & Craft thread in camel (shade no. 8230). I had two spools (one of which was partly used) of 50 yards each. 

Now the handstitching was a bit stressful because the threads were from my stash and were no longer available online or at my local fabric store in that particular shade. I had to save every bit of cut thread just in case. 

The camel jersey served as the backing fabric. 

I used featherstitch for the neck binding. 

Inside view of the neck binding. 
I cheated a bit and did not handsew the seams. As with the first time, I used my serger to assemble the top. 

I left the hems of the top and the sleeves unfinished. 
I used the cap sleeve option for this tee. 

 
I also altered the fit a bit because the first top I made felt a bit too body hugging for my taste. So I graded from XS to Medium at the hips and also shortened the top by a total of 3". 

I am happier with the fit of this second top. I can't wait to sew some more for summer!






11 comments:

  1. Beautiful work and the fit is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bunny! I used a favorite store bought shirt of mine to guide me during fitting.

      Delete
  2. What an elegant top! The colors are chic and your workmanship is impeccable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work never ceases to inspire me Maria.
    I hope you don't mind, but for a bit of fun I nominated you for The Mystery Blogger Award. It's just a bit of fun sharing random facts. It would be lovely if you joined in but don't worry if you don't have time https://www.dreamcutsew.com/blog/2018/07/14/random-fun-facts-for-the-mystery-blogger-award

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane, you’re always so kind with your encouraging comments! I’ll check out your post and see what’s it all about. I haven’t been blogging as much as I’ve been sewing and crafting though.

      Delete
  4. Hi Maria! I had to come up with a list of people who inspires me! And it looks like I am not the only one who immediately thought of you! I love seeing what you make and your attention to detail is so inspiring! I have nominated you for the Mystery Blogger Award - http://georgiasew.blogspot.com/2018/07/the-mystery-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Georgia, I really appreciate that! It means a lot coming from you as you are truly an excellent sewist!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for your detailed post, this top is my inspiration for my first AC garment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying that Sharon! Looking forward to seeing your finished top. This particular one is my all time favorite!

      Delete