Thursday, August 30, 2018

A Simple Summer Top: Simplicity 8600

Back in April I participated in a month-long Instagram photo challenge by Sewing and Design School and one of the sponsors was Fibers To Fabric, a purveyor of authentic Indian fabrics, buttons, trims and haberdashery. I was fortunate enough to be given a beautiful piece of cotton fabric to sew.

As described in the store website:

Designer print in a stunning botanical all over floral design. Breathable and lightweight quilting cotton. Printed with regular dyes on standard Indian high quality cotton.

Yarn Type : 100% Regular Cotton
Fabric Type : High Quality Standard Pure Cotton
Width : 42" - 44” width
Weight - 1.8 to 2 oz approximately (light weight)

It reminded me of cotton lawn and although lightweight it was not transparent.



I thought the floral print was perfect for view B of this Simplicity pattern. 



This pullover top features ruffles around the neckline and tasseled front opening. 
Construction was relatively simple. The fabric was a pleasure to sew with!


For the tassel, I braided several strands of thick embroidery floss (size 5 DMC). The most difficult part was deciding which color to use because the fabric had so many beautiful colors in it!

So here are some photos of me wearing the top. 






I also let my daughter try it on when she visited us for a few days. Although she liked it, she found the top a tad short so I might see about lengthening the hem and just letting her wear this top for summer.






No comments:

Post a Comment