Monday, July 8, 2013

My Favorite Tee (Jalie 2005)








Jalie 2005 is an out of print pattern that is still available as a downloadable  file from their website. It includes patterns for a short-sleeved or three-fourth sleeved tee with round, v- or bateau neckline. I have already made four bateau neckline tees from this pattern and have found that the fabric type determines the size to use. I also found the short sleeves a little snug. 

For the tee featured here, I used a soft rayon/lycra knit fabric from Jo-Ann's store. 




To make cutting along the grain more accurate, I decided to lay out the pattern on a single layer of fabric.






The fabric was too sheer for my liking so I cut two of the front pieces and treated them as one.







The most "complicated" step in this simple pattern was the construction of the bateau neckline.




I like to machine baste my sleeves before serging just to be sure.





I like shortcuts but one step I will never skip is ironing the seams after sewing.





For the side seams, I basted where the sleeves were attached to make sure the seams were aligned perfectly front to back.




Then I serge the rest.



I left the lower edge unfinished to give the tee a casual look. You can see the double layer of the front piece.


Here it is paired with my yoga maxi skirt.


This skirt was featured in this post.







2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting so much detail on sewing the boat neck. I downloaded this pattern but made the V-neck version.

    Your shirt looks great especially with such a cute skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll have to try the V-neck version next time.

      Delete