Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Easiest Initial Pillow Cover



Monograms and initials, as part of home decor, will never go out of style. There are several ways to get the personalized look--embroidery, applique and iron-on transfer to name a few. I have chosen to follow the easiest and cheapest route.




For this DIY project, one can use a ready made pillow cover or sew one. I did the latter using some leftover drop cloth (more on drop cloth projects next time) for the pillow panels and scrap twill fabric in black for the piping trim.



 Print your desired letter from a word processing program in your computer. I used Word Art (font French111 BT size 96)  for my letter.



Using an X-acto knife, carefully cut out the letter. Using the negative space as a guide, trace the letter to your pillowcase. 


If sewing your own pillowcase, trace the letter to right side of one fabric panel before sewing.






Use a permanent marker to fill out the letter. Trace around the edges first before filling in the spaces.




Let completely dry and heat set with iron on dry setting.


Insert pillowform. I slipstitched the opening for my pillow case. I also added contrast piping in black to add more pizzazz to the simple design. 

Here is the finished product. 





No comments:

Post a Comment