Simplicity 1874 by Jessica McClintock
For this year's senior prom, my daughter chose this pattern. Of course the first thing I did was check out the reviews from Pattern Review.com. Alas, there were no reviews posted so I had no idea what to expect. A glance at the instructions was not very encouraging. There were 28 pieces in the pattern.
She decided to go with view C which was simpler and which allowed her to wear a bra without worrying about the straps showing at the bag. I was just glad I didn't have to worry about creating any weird looking "growths" on the bodice. So with the pattern selection over with, it was time to do some fabric shopping. She wanted a blue or purple gown and after ordering some swatches from Mood Fabrics I ended up buying three yards of solid charmeuse silk in Mazarine blue. It was a beautiful shade of dark blue.
Since my last Prom project, I have read a lot of tips on couture sewing from sewing books, magazines and online blogs. So I have decided to apply some of those techniques on this gown.
I underlined the bodice with cotton flannel in addition to the regular lining that the pattern instruction called for. The underlining not only added body even without boning, it also enabled me to "invisibly" stitch the seams open.
Seams of bodice befor catchstitching.
The catchstitches hold the seams open and flat.
View of the right side of the bodice.
Views of the bodice and skirt attached. I have decided not to underline the skirt part.
Turning the lining outside in. The only thing I would have changed here was the choice of lining color. I suddenly turned cheap and decided to use lining from my stack. It would have been better to use lining in the same color as the main fabric.
Understitching to stabilize the lining.
Attaching the invisible zipper.
Sewing the jewels on the right shoulder strap.
One happy customer!