|It's hard to see from the photo but this lightweight Japanese fabric has the most beautiful design that features a double border print and variegated shades of blue arranged in geometric fashion.|
After browsing through the myriad of inspiring garment photos posted on Instagram, I decided to make my own version of the Papercut "Pinnacle Top" pattern.
About the pattern:
Variation 1: deep V neckline with short or wrist length sleeve
Variation 2: round neckline with binding and back ties with short or wrist length sleeve
Variation 3: sweater with neck band and sleeve cuffs
The first two variations will work well with woven fabrics and the third one with knit.
I made view 1. It only consists of three pattern pieces--the body, the triangular inset and the neck facing.
|This is the main body piece. At first glance it is hard to figure out what's going on but after locating the edge which attaches to the triangular inset in the center front, it becomes easier to decipher.|
|After much rearranging, I decided to just put the border print on the center back.|
|See the center back? That is made of two border prints sewn along the lengthwise grain.|
As for the triangular inset, the pattern piece was supposed to be laid out on the fold of fabric. I wanted to use the border print for this but it was not wide enough to accommodate the pattern so I had to piece the fabrics before cutting the pattern piece.
|Here are the cut fabric pieces. It's like a giant jigsaw puzzle!|
|I raised the neckline by 1.5". I had to redraw the edge that would be attached to the center triangular inset.|
|I also needed to adjust the triangular pattern piece on the cut side leaving the center fold line as is.|
|A closer look at the adjustment needed to be made on the triangular piece.|
|Not to forget the neck facing. Since I raised the neckline by 1.5", I had to shorten the neck facing by same amount.|
|After testing a variety of decorative stitches on a scrap piece of fabric, I settled for this one on my Juki F600.|
|I used a wash away stabilizer for decorative stitching. It definitely made a difference in the quality of the final stitches.|
|I used a light blue embroidery thread which went really well with the fabric.|
|First try: simple folded hem. I stitched a 5/8" guideline and folded the hem to the inside.|
|Second try: I sewed a wide bias cut hem facing and turned to the inside.|
|Third and last try: I sewed a 4" wide bias cut hem band and sewed in place.|
|This is the view from the right side.|
I decided on the third method. After pressing the band in place, it looked good on the top and improved the issue a bit. It still stuck out but in a more graceful manner. And it's a plus that I was able to add 2" hem to the cropped top.