Friday, May 4, 2018

Another Keeper: Simplicity 8601 Tie Top




Here is another winner from Simplicity patterns. 



Simplicity 8601 features a pullover top with four sleeve variations. All views have a split front bodice, back slit opening, neck facing nd narrow hem finish. 

I made view C which has both front and sleeve ties. 


I used a drapey viscose woven for the main fabric and accented with a black silk woven. That was more out of necessity as I did not have enough of the viscose to complete the sleeves. 

A view of the top untied shows a tunic length on the front. The sleeves are made of two pieces--front and back. The back features a slit opening. 

Here is a close-up of the front opening. In my top (which used size 6 with no alterations), the total center front length from the neckline to the bottom hem was 24.5". The slit was about 11.5" long. Because I am short-waisted, the opening ended perfectly along my waistline. 

Here is a close-up of the sleeve ties. 

I used a piece of woven ribbon from my stash to make the button loop. 


An inside view of the back, finished with serged seams.


An inside view of the front.

This top involved a lot of narrow hemming--the front opening, the front hem, the back hem and the sleeves. I found the tutorial on narrow hemming at Threads Magazine to be very helpful. 



For a complete review of the pattern, kindly check out Pattern Review

I love how this top turned out and this pattern is definitely a keeper! 














4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip about narrow hemming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty. I'm going to have to try the view with sleeve ties next!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Looking forward to seeing it!

      Delete